Sunday, October 13, 2013

Project 011: Fairy Party Garb

So, since I suck at posting, some backlogged items.

Back in the spring, Jake and I were invited to a fairy themed party. Since I had a done a fairy costume for a Mardi Gras party only a couple months prior, I decided to do more of a generic nymph/tree spirit type costume for myself. I made myself some jewelry.


Leafy earrings! I've gotten a lot of use out of these other than just wearing them with the costume. There's a "matching" necklace that I don't have a picture of. The necklace also has wooden beads and bronze bells.
Leafy, flowery ear cuffs. I didn't wear wings with this costume, so I included a wing shape on my ear cuffs instead.
A jingly, jangly anklet. It fit wonderfully without my shoes. With the shoes I wore, I had to add a chainmail ring to make it just a tad longer.

 I also made a shredded bottom shirt decorated with wooden beads. But it needed just something a little more. Since Jake's been puttering with leather working, I asked him if he'd make me a leather bodice. He agreed, if I'd make him a mask.

Challenge accepted.

I started by making a paper mache cast of Jake's face. Then I built the horns with paper cups, wire, newspaper, tape, and more paper mache. Here we're trying to decide which way the horns should face. Up and back... 
  ...or down and forward?
We decided on up and back. I did some more touch up painting and glued everything together.
And then I glued on some leaves, attached several ribbons to hold it on someone's head (the horns are heavy and it wants to fall back), and then took a terrible selfie to send to Jake for his thoughts.
He put it on when he got home that evening. And wanted more leaves.
Here's his finished costume. See more leaves on the mask. Also, I made that leafy tunic/tabbard.


All in all, it was a pretty fun project and I learned a lot about making paper mache masks. I haven't used any of it since then though.

No comments:

Post a Comment